Thursday, March 4, 2010

What Say You(th)? : Malaysians Abroad

Being a Malaysian in a foreign land sure feels different. From the culture, to environment, to the people. Aeti Amira asks Malaysian youth abroad how they feel being far away from home, what do they miss, what they like being abroad and everything in between;

I do miss Malaysia. A lot. Things are very different here. The best thing about being abroad is you got branded things cheaper instead of you are able to have designer handbags without having to fast for months. That's the only reason which make me feel like wanting to be here forever. But things are very different here. in Malaysia, you can hang out until dawn. Laughing at mamak or gossiping while eating char kuew tiew or maybe nasi lemak. Oh how tempting! But here, the only choice you have is going to club. Seeing drunken people get crazy then sleeping on the road. Afraid of these drunken people you will end up in your own kitchen cooking the same dishes you have to digest everyday. Kitchen? the interesting fact about sharing kitchen with these mat saleh (which one may find interesting) is at one point, you will never dare to step in the kitchen. It's worst then terrible. Dishes are never washed, beer are spilled all over the table and carpet. God how I wish I have mom here giving 'ceramah kebersihan' to these people.

It's good to have fish and chips and spaghetti for lunch but to have it everyday, I prefer having cheap and tasteless 'warung' dishes!

Wan Aleesa Hanes, 21, student,
University of Portsmouth





Being Malaysian is coming from Malaysia with our world of lah's, wei's and whatnots! However, its not hard to stay Malaysian abroad because every country will have their Malaysian society. So if you miss Malaysia or if you want to stay Malaysian, just go to the MSoc (Malaysian Society) and you'll feel right at home. Of course I miss Malaysia! I miss the non-sub zero temperature, the scorching hot sun, the inexpensive cost of living, the cars or rather my car, the ability to be drive around, the inexpensive taxis and the food (especially the food). Oh! Not to mention mamak especially mamak! I miss the malls where it does no close at 8 every weekday and 6 on Sundays. I miss the sun. I've mentioned sun already, haven't I? Well, sunshine. I miss the non gloomy days, the periodically heavy rain but not the humidity. I miss 7 eleven or anything that's 24 hours basically. Basically, Malaysia is still home so yes, I miss it loads cause that's where my friends and family are.

Sarah NCY, 21, student
London School of Economics





For me, being a Malaysian is to never forget where you come from, to stay grounded at all times. Malaysia is a country filled with tradition and culture. As long as you don't forget your tradition and culture although you're abroad, or in a Western country, I don't think we can never be far away from being a Malaysian. I sure am missing Malaysia a lot as soon as i arrive in Melbourne, every time. I miss the weather, my family, and FOOD of course! nothing beats Malaysian food i must say :)

Farah Shazliyana, 20, student
University of Melbourne





Four weeks(here) down and another 40 to go. It certainly feels so long especially when you are living far away from your country. Of course, California is a nice place to be. Everyone dreams of being here! But, the ugly truth is, you don't travel and see new places everyday. That's when you are stuck in your house wasting hours on Facebook and thinking what's for dinner? Sometimes, you feel lonely knowing there is so much you can do if you were in Malaysia. Friends, family, food, weather (well, i lied because California is better), I miss em all. Well, beneath those boredom, it feels good to be here and away from hot hot hot Malaysia. So many places to visit, cant wait!

Siti Shahira Jalil, Housewife,
San Diego, California.

No comments:

Post a Comment